100 Drawings

Beginning this project, I felt overwhelmed by the number of drawings to do. Having done a similar assignment for the Venice study abroad trip over the summer, I wasn't as overwhelmed in the beginning of the current assignment as I would be near the middle/end.
The 75 drawings I had to produce in Venice were under specific categories, and in turn, I put more thought into the image I produced and less on the style I was drawing in, and just let my drawing style shine through without focusing on it too much. With the 100 drawings assignment, I wasn't as overwhelmed by the number as I was what to draw. 
I know my interests in art: my work is creepy but cute. Sometimes it has a statement, sometimes it's just for the aesthetic. I chose two works of my own art to create my list of 50 words from. One being a work made with dry pastel depicting a still life containing pink hydrangeas, a set of blue teacups, and a cat skull. The second work was a master copy oil painting of Jenny Saville's "Bleach". I chose these works not only for the outcome, but for the emotional and mental states that I was in and reflected when I created them.





Some of the words included in my 50 words were "dark; anatomic; nightmare; identity"
When I began the project, I was taking too long on single drawings. I would spend an hour on some pieces, which meant that I did not distribute my time in a way that benefited me. My time management ultimately didn't even benefit those pieces: I stressed so much over what I wanted to say with my work and attempting to find ideas to draw that I neglected to get enough ideas down on paper. 




During critique, I realized I had only spoken with one of my peers and viewed only one person's work during the process. I believe that if I had made more of an effort to know what my peers were making, My (un)finished product left me with a bad taste in my mouth and discouragement for the next assignment, but mistakes and errors are to be learned from, not to get in the way of learning. I believe that I would have fallen closer to the mark in terms of what I expected of myself and what the assignment was asking for. I will use this knowledge thoughtfully throughout the next assignments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Individual Theme Drawing

War and Peace